IHSAA EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
Minutes of the January 10, 2002 meeting at the IHSAA Offices.
Chairman Oren Sutherlin, Vice-Chairman Joseph Trimboli, Linda Barnett, Curtis Casbon, Dennis Eller, Jim Feist, Phillip Gardner, Phil Hoskins, Lee Lonzo, Patrick Mapes, Michael Necessary, Pam Noble, Michael Powell, Janis Qualizza, Cecil Raymond, Roger Weaver, Cassel White, John Williams, Commissioner Blake Ress, Associate Commissioner Ray Craft, Assistant Commissioners Bobby Cox, Sandy Searcy, Theresia Wynns, Sports Information Director Jerry Baker and Attorney Robert Baker.
Minutes of the December 11, 2001 meeting was recommended for approval. A motion for approval was made by Joseph Trimboli; seconded by Patrick Mapes; motion passed 17-0.
Chairman Oren Sutherlin presented Jerry Baker as the personnel committee’s recommendation for the Sports Information Director. Jerry is a veteran member of the Indianapolis media, serving in various capacities for radio and television stations as well as the Indiana Pacers. Specifically, Jerry has been the television voice for the IHSAA for its championship events since 1978. Baker is a graduate of Sullivan High School, and earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Radio-Television from Indiana State University. A motion for approval was made by Lee Lonzo; seconded by Dennis Eller; motion passed 17-0.
2001-02 BOYS BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT OFFICIALS
Associate Commissioner Craft presented a list of basketball officials who have applied to work the 2001-02 Boys Basketball Tournament Series. Permission was requested to select officials from this list. A motion for approval was made by Mike Necessary; seconded by Phillip Gardner; motion passed 18-0.
2001-02 WRESTLING TOURNAMENT OFFICIALS
Assistant Commissioner Cox presented a list of wrestling officials who have applied to work the 2001-02 Wrestling Tournament Series. Permission was requested to assign officials from this list. A motion for approval was made by Phil Hoskins; seconded by Dennis Eller; motion passed 18-0.
2001-02 SWIMMING & DIVING TOURNAMENT OFFICIALS
Assistant Commissioner Searcy provided a list of possible starters who have applied for the 2001-02 Swimming & Diving Tournaments. Permission was requested to select officials from this list. A motion for approval was made by Jim Feist; seconded by Michael Powell; motion passed 18-0.
2001-02 GYMNASTICS TOURNAMENT OFFICIALS
Assistant Commissioner Searcy presented a list of licensed gymnastics judges and requested permission to select judges for the 2001-02 Gymnastics Tournament from said list. A motion for approval was made by Joseph Trimboli; seconded by Patrick Mapes; motion passed 18-0.
The Executive Committee took the following actions in response to proposals presented by the Indiana High School Baseball Coaches Association:
1. Emphasize that part of Rule 3, where umpires may restrict the coach and/or players to the bench or dugout area instead of ejection from the game. A motion for approval was made by Cecil Raymond; seconded by Dennis Eller; motion passed 18-0.
2. Have all games of the third round of the State Tourney played at Victory Field. A motion to deny the request was made by Dennis Eller; seconded by Joseph Trimboli; motion passed 18-0.
Commissioner Ress recommended that two appointments be made to the 2003-02 Board of Directors in order to insure appropriate representation in those areas for which no election was conducted in December 2001. A motion to approve Linda Barnett to serve as the Female representative from the North District and John Williams to serve as Class AAAA representative from District III, until a scheduled election is conducted for these seats, was made by Phil Hoskins; seconded by Cecil Raymond; motion passed 18-0.
Associate Commissioner Craft reported on transfers that have been ruled upon during the 2001-02 school year. This report included the following actions as of January 3, 2002:
Full Eligibility 1917
Limited Eligibility 137
Assistant Commissioner Wynns reported on the unsportsmanlike conduct reports received by the Association as of January 9, 2002. At this point in the school year, the number of unsportsmanlike conduct reports are comparable to last years figures. The IHSAA Office continues to receive reports from officials about good sportsmanship throughout the state.
Commissioner Ress presented the November and December monthly financial reports of the Association.
The following reports were presented regarding the financial status of sports conducted during the fall sports season.
· The football tournament series net revenue to the Association showed an improvement of 26% over 2000. Likewise, the member school sectional share of the football income was significantly higher at more than $825,000. The increase in revenue reflected raised ticket prices. However, the total attendance for the tournament series showed a decrease of more than 11% and was 365,435.
· The volleyball tournament series net revenue showed an increase of 41%, which included a substantial increase in total attendance at all levels of the tournament. The member schools’ share remained relatively consistent from last year at $35,000.
Attorney Robert Baker updated the Executive Committee on the current status of pending litigation against the Association.
Commissioner Ress reported that details regarding recipients of the District Media Awards will be announced during the February Executive Committee meeting.
Commissioner Ress reported on the National Federation’s Winter Meeting. Among the topics discussed were: (a) the foreign exchange student policy; (b) Special Olympics sponsorship; (c) Friday night football; (d) reorganization of the NFHS national football rules committee; (e) national championships as it pertains to team and individual sports; and (f) NCAA open recruiting periods.
The following penalties were assessed for various violations of the IHSAA By-Laws:
Rushville High School
Commissioner Ress reported the following action as a result of a violation of Rule 50-1.
1. The Rushville High School wrestling program is issued a warning.
2. Coach Ted Lynde is reprimanded for allowing this violation to occur.
3. The administration of Rushville High School is commended for its prompt reporting and handling of this matter.
Southridge High School
Commissioner Ress reported the following action as a result of a violation of Rule 9-13.
1. The Southridge High School girls swimming and diving program is issued a warning.
2. Middle School Coach Don Heim is reprimanded for allowing this violation to occur.
3. The actions taken by Southridge High School officials in response to this violation are accepted by the IHSAA.
4. The administration of Southridge High School is commended for its prompt reporting and handling of this matter.
1. Letter from Frank A. Bush, Executive Director, Indiana School Boards Association
2. Letter from Dave Land, Executive Secretary, Indiana Football Coaches Association
3. Letter from Dr. Jeffrey L. Schaffer, Bluffton, IN
4. Letter from Joseph Trimboli, Principal, Mishawaka High School.
A motion to adjourn the January meeting of the IHSAA Executive Committee was made by Lee Lonzo; seconded by Michael Powell; motion passed 18-0. The next meeting of the Executive Committee will be at IHSAA headquarters at 8 a.m. on February 15, 2002.